You choose cloth diapers because they don’t have many chemicals and other materials that disposable options do. Did you know that some diaper creams include ingredients that are not only smelly but could make a rash worse? Several diaper creams are available that are designed to work with cloth diapers and are both safer and more effective.
Best Diaper Creams for Cloth Diapers
Diaper creams are designed to protect your baby’s skin, and so are their cloth diapers. So, you want to make sure that the creams you use will work well and wash out of the fabric when laundered.
- Do Good Naturals Butt Balm: designed by Do Good Diapers specifically for use with cloth diapers as a protective barrier and for minor rashes.
- Angel Baby Bottom Balm: certified organic, vegan, zinc-free, and can be used for everything from diaper rash to bug bites to minor burns.
- Baby Bottom Better: antifungal flower ingredients in this salve make it ideal as a moisture barrier for yeast rashes.
- California Baby: all diaper creams are free of common allergens and fragrances, including their super-sensitive and calming varieties.
- CJ’s BUTTer: pediatrician-recommended salve that treats a variety of skin conditions, including diaper rash, eczema, and stretch marks.
- Northern Essence Better Butter Cream: includes no petroleum, lanolin, or zinc but can be purchased with or without essential oils.
Diaper Creams to Avoid
Many common diaper rash creams can damage your cloth diapers because they are nearly impossible to remove or could stain the cloth. In addition, they sometimes include ingredients that aren’t effective or may worsen a diaper rash. For example, diaper rash creams containing cod liver oil may create a moisture barrier but can lead to odor and are difficult to remove from the skin and cloth diapers.
- A&D Original Ointment: made with cod liver oil and has a strong smell
- Aquaphor: may worsen a yeast rash
- Boudreaux’s Butt Paste: may cause staining and has a strong smell
- Desitin: made with cod liver oil and is hard to wash out
Do Good Diapers offers not only cloth diapers and laundering services but also compostable wipes, hypoallergenic soaps and lotion, as well as plush bath towels. Be sure to grab all the essentials, including diaper creams, at our online store.